Wednesday 6 February 2008

Shame!

I'm teaching myself not to grieve upon the dead; they quit this world and they enjoy peace elsewhere. Instead, I mourn those who are alive, tormented by the banalities of life. However, a pain crossed my mind hearing about an incident that happened in Sfax. A boy around 15 or 16 years was killed while going on a strike as a form of protest against Gaza's blockade. What a shame! A real shame! It's been almost a week now that i couldnt stop thinking about this boy. I couldn't stop thinking about his family. How much they suffer! Even Palestine's independence wouldn't help put a smile upon their life again.
Yesterday, like everyday nearly, I went to the institute to sit for my classes. Yeah, I don't miss classes. It's rare, only when I'm extremely sick or when I have an urgent thing to do that cannot be postponed. It's just because i think presence is important and so is taking notes by yourself , especially that I'm excellent at listening and writing rapidly. I cannot trust my classmates' courses 'cos they are like "fill in the blanks" with a very poor English(there are exceptions, though). Plus, it goes without saying that many of them don't want to give their papers, despite the fact that I don't keep my course for myself. I give it to print to anyone who asks me. My best friends say I'm trop bonne trop conne: exposing myself to course exploitation since many students don't talk to me, normally but they come to me whenever they are in need for lessons. They borrow the papers and promise you that they'll bring them tomorrow. In many cases, the papers are brought after a week or two, sometimes torn apart, other times with scars of food. At least, I'm grateful they give them back. That's me! I cannot and I don't want to change talking about this matter. I can't imagine myself refusing to give papers to someone. But, It's a shame! A shame 'cos human relationships in the institute, in all universities as well, depends on courses!
So, yesterday I went to the institute excercising my principle of self-reliance, as always. Once there, I found a notics saying: Strikes today. But everything seemed so quiet: l'UGET members giving their ordinary speeches about our life in order to raise students' awareness. These latters weren't listening to them, sunbathing, drinking coffees, chatting , laughing... It was the normal atmosphere of the institute. I stood still in front of the amphitheatre. After 5 minutes, the students started entering followed by the teacher. I was hesitating: should I go on a strike or sit for my class? I didn't know the cause of the strike so I opted for the second choice. Almost 10 minutes later, i heard the crowd: people starting to shout and they were getting closer. Then, they started knocking on the door. The teacher ignored them. They didn't give up and forced their way in the amphitheatre, without permission. It was l'UGET members supported by many students. The teacher seemed extremely frightened and shocked and he had already stopped talking. Some of the members, friends among them, explained themselves saying that it was a strike to protest against the boy's death. By that time, I was pissed off and mad at them. Sorry but no one told us the reason before that moment. Moreover, how the hell they dare enter without permission, interrupting a class and not respecting the teacher! They are claiming to be democratic, however they didn't leave us the choice. After all, it wasn't a well organized strike.
I strongly believe that l'UGET presence in our institute, and in every university, is vital but they should change their working methods. They are asking for reforms, this won't happen till they organize their structure. We cannot change the world unless we begin by changing ourselves.
Deep inside, I know that their role will always be limited to the institute. I don't know if it's due to my pessimistic nature or not. Because when I take a look around me I feel that things are getting worse. It's the decade of social deteriorism, moral decay, human vaccum and falsifying facts. A disease is spread in the body of the society, it can't be stopped. People are rushing for the accumulation of wealth, this rush affected their lives, altered their traditions, manners , morality and widened the gap between the rich and the poor. People are deprived out of any humanity, creativity, filled instead with materialism. No imagination, no sensation. The masses are drenched in football, shitty valentine presents and sales. I have always hated football: persons getting millions for running after a ball, while others don't have money to buy bread. Our age is the heartless age. People have calculators instead of hearts in "a world made of conflicts of interests, points of view and interests", where globalization is a sleeping devil.
As George Orwell says in his book 1984: "If you want to see the future imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever."

Why did i write all this? whatever!

No comments: